Unfortunately I could not make it to lecture yesterday so this is my first blog o' the week. i thought that the critique today went pretty well for everybody. I found that many confessions were well thought out and executed almost perfectly stylistically. I think almost everyone would agree that the best one of the day was Andrea's confession about her father. Her sculpture only revealed so much but when she read the letter aloud to the class everything previously shown held a deeper meaning. I love the fact that she used materials which contradicted the subject matter. The choice of using salad and water to fill the dinner plate was great because she presented what she wanted her dad to eat while using the same environment in which he makes his unhealthy choices. She also went the extra step by using the sand to represent time and the candles to make setting more intimate. The letter of course was extremely moving and even caused me, as well as many other people in the class to tear up. As someone mentioned it was truly heartfelt and genuine and not at all written in anger. i feel like this is a hard thing to accomplish because I have tried writing similar letters to my parents but I have trouble trying to suppress my anger. I really hope that she decides to send the letter to her dad.
If I had to choose a piece that could have been improved more besides my own I would choose Dane's piece. After discussing it I was glad that the burner did not work because it made the piece have more meaning in terms of the fact that he always feels like he must please everybody else. i think it was Jonathan who suggested he should have taken orders from people than just made them the kind of eggs he wanted to make. I liked that idea a lot because he would be standing up for everything that he confessed. i think to maybe improve it he could have acted it out more as a performance. He could have taken orders and then been stressed as even if things went wrong right there we could have witnessed everything he talked about instead of him just explaining it. All and all, I really believe all of the work thus far was great and I am really excited to see what people present on Thursday :)
No comments:
Post a Comment